This tutorial will guide you through all the steps required to install CyanogenMod 9.0, which is based over Ice Cream Sandwich 4.0.3 on your Xperia 2011 device. Video tutorial shall be coming soon too! Please see that your device needs to be Bootloader unlocked for this to work. Click me for a tutorial on Bootloader unlocking and rooting you Xperia device.
P.S. – Please note that these instructions are only meant for reference purpose. In case you are coming from another ROM and already have a custom Recovery on your phone, then it’s mandatory to Wipe all data before flashing this ROM. It is highly advised to read through the official XDA ROM thread posted here to avoid any glitches while flashing the ROM.
Technologic101 will not be responsible if you brick your device by following the procedure given below. Proceed with caution!
The devices which will be covered in this tutorial are -:
Xperia Active – satsuma
Xperia Arc – anzu
Xperia Live – coconut
Xperia Mini – smultron
Xperia Mini Pro – mango
Xperia Neo – hallon
Xperia Neo V – haida
Xperia Play – zeus
Xperia Pro – iyokan
Xperia Ray – urushi
Working and Non-working Features
Working (ok = working)
AUDIO – ok
GPS – ok
TOUCH SCREEN – ok
CWM RECOVERY 5.5 – ok
GSM – ok
VIDEO DECODER – ok
3D – ok
GRALLOC – ok
HOTSPOT – ok – command line for now
USB MTP – settings->storage->push menu->usb computer connection->media device
TOUCHPADS – ok
WIFI – ok
BT – ok
CAMERA – ok – only main camera
GSM Data – ok
Faceunlock – ok
1. Latest Google Apps for CM 9.0 – Link
2. Baseband 64 for the appropriate device (please refer to the device codenames above) – Link
3. CM 9.0 package for the appropriate device (please refer to the device codenames above) – Link
5. Fastboot package – Link
6. x86/x64 drivers – Link
P.S. – If you’re now able to download any of the files present above, try and download with a proxy. Here are some –
Baseband 64 needs to be flashed via Flashtool. Connect your device in Flash mode and then upgrade the Rom via Flashtool which will upgrade the Baseband to the required one.
1. First of all, extract all the files and keep them in a place where you can navigate to safely.
2. Put the CM9 update to the root of your SD card.
2. Install the drivers which you have downloaded above.
3. Extract the Fastboot package and the CM9 update package that you download for your device.
4. Copy the boot.img file present in the CM9 folder to the Fastboot folder.
5. Open up a Command Prompt and CD to the location of your fastboot folder.
6. Now connect your phone in Fastboot Mode. To do this, while making sure that you your phone is off, connect your phone to the computer while holding down these buttons ->
- Menu button (for Xperia™ arc, Xperia™ arc S, Xperia™ neo, Xperia™ neo V, Xperia™ pro).
- Search button (for Xperia™ PLAY).
- Volume up button (for Xperia™ mini, Xperia™ mini pro, Xperia™ ray, Xperia™ active, Live with Walkman™, Xperia™ S).
If phone is connected correctly in Fastboot Mode, a blue led light should glow up.
7. To check if your phone is connected correctly in Fastboot mode, type “fastboot devices” without the “” and if you get a serial number, that means it is connected correctly.
8. Type “fastboot flash boot boot.img”. this step is required to flash the FreeXperia kernel.
9. Now disconnect the USB cable and switch on your phone. While the phone is booting on and you see the FXP logo, keep tapping the volume down key until you enter recovery.
10. Once entered recovery, Format your /system partition, /data partition, /cache and dalvik-cache. Now choose the option which says Apple zip from sd card and select the CM9 update package.
Now reboot your phone and your phone should have updated to CyanogenMod 9.0 which runs over Ice Cream Sandwich!
Here’s a video of me demonstrating some of the features –
P.S. – All links have been updated as of July 18, 2012. If you come across any errors, please restart the process and try again. If you’re unable to do it, first flash a Stock SE Rom and then start the process again!