I. Requirements before you begin
1) An SD card (Any brand)
2) A working phone which can connect to the computer as a disk drive ( You should be able to see the SD card as a removable disk in My Computers) or just use a Micro USB card reader.
3) Gold card Tool by klutsh
II. Setting up ADB
Follow these instructions to setup ADB for your phone, then come back to this procedure and continue.
III. Creating a Goldcard
Automatic method with a tool
1. Put the memory card you want to use for the GoldCard into your phone.
2. With the memory card in your phone, click on Settings, SD and Phone storage, then click Unmount SD card. Once it unmounts, click Format SD card. (Please keep in mind that some memory cards don’t work, and this will erase all data on your SD Card so back all the data up first to your computer)
3. On the Phone, goto Settings, Applications, Development and then make sure USB Debugging is checked.
4 (a )Open up the Gold Card creator that you downloaded earlier and Click on ‘Get CID’ (At this moment,your SD Card must appear in My computers as a removable disk.That’s the only way this will work.).Also,if the CID doesn’t appear in your first attempt,select ‘MMC0’ and try again.
4 (b) Then,once you have the CID,go to the lick provided and download for goldcard.img and save it wherever you want to (On your desktop preferably).
4 (c) Select your SD card from the dr0p down list and then select your Goldcard.img.Once all that’s done ; click on Patch MMC and wait until you get a popup telling you that the SD card is now a gold card.
Manual method for people who can’t get the tool to work
1. Put the memory card you want to use for the GoldCard into your phone.2. With the memory card in your phone, click on Settings, SD and Phone storage, then click Unmount SD card. Once it unmounts, click Format SD card. (Please keep in mind that some memory cards don’t work, and this will erase all data on your SD Card so back all the data up first to your computer)3. On the Phone, goto Settings, Applications, Development and then make sure USB Debugging is checked.4. Plug the phone into the computer and then open the Command Prompt (goto the start menu and type in cmd in the search box). Then type the following with hitting enter at the end of each line.cd\
adb devicesThen type:
(There is no spaces in this line EXCEPT right after the word cat in the beginning, make sure to put that space in).
5. A code will display, write the code down (MAKE SURE TO WRITE IT DOWN EXACTLY!)
6. Now with the code written down, simply write it backwards (it must be reversed, so if the code is 123456789, slowly write it backwards and make sure not to make a mistake so it becomes 987654321 then continue to the next step).
7. Now, on your computer, goto http://psas.revskills.de/?q=goldcard and enter your email in the appropriate field and for CID enter the reversed CID you just copied down BUT REPLACE THE FIRST 2 DIGITS WITH 2 ZEROS! (i.e. 12345678910 becomes 00345678910). *Thanks to Viper for providing these Goldcards for FREE!
8. Click continue and then download the goldcard.img to your computer.
9. Now, go to http://download.cnet.com/HxD-Hex-Editor/3000-2352-10891068.html?part=dl-HxDHexEdi&subj=uo&tag=button to download the HxD Hex Editor. Save it and install it to your computer.
10. Take your SD card out of your phone and put it into the SD adapter it came with. Then put that into your computer so it shows up on your computer as Removable Disk.
11. Open the Hex Editor (Run as Administrator if one Vista or Windows 7) and click on the Extra tab, then click on Open Disk. Under Physical Disk select Removable Disk (your SD card you just put into the computer). Make sure to UNcheck â€œOpen as ReadOnlyâ€. Click OK.
12. Goto the Extra tab again and click Open Disk Image. Open up the goldcard.img that you saved from your email. You should now have two tabs, one is the SD card (Removable Disk) and the other is the goldcard.img
Press OK when prompted for Sector Size 512 (Hard Disks/Floppy Disks).
13. Click on the Goldcard.img tab and click on the Edit tab and click Select All. Then click on the Edit tab again and click Copy.
14. Click on the Removable Disk tab (Your SD Card) and select offset 00000000 to 00000170 then click on the Edit tab and click Paste Write.
15. Click on File then click Save.
16. Close the Hex Editor.
17. Test what we’ve done: Disconnect the Adaptor and reconnect and see if the card appears in My Computers.If it doesn then you’re all set but if windows tells you that you have to format the card then you need to format it and try again.
That’s it folks! You should be able to root your previously un-rootable phones now.
Issue: I get no such directory or file when I type:
Solution: Try to type this instead (replace the 1′s after mmc with zeros):
Issue: Having difficulty with the cat command…
“Plug your phone into your computer with the going to be gold card
Go to my computer
Make sure you mount your phone to your computer
Right click after mounted FORMAT on your drive NOT IN THE SETTINGS>FORMAT MODE (trust me)
dont do quick format let it run its course
After it has completed formatting come back to the steps starting at step number 4.”